Applying Technological Advancements to Treat Dry Eye Symptoms
If you’re hunting for relief from painful, irritated, and tired eyes, you aren’t alone. Roughly 16 million Americans report dry eye symptoms. At the very least, the condition is annoying. At the worst, it can cause visual disturbances and corneal damage.
The team at Riverside Eye Specialists is dedicated to using the best technology to provide you with exceptional eye care. Come in to see how we can manage your dry eye.
What is Dry Eye Disease?
Dry eye disease is a condition caused by a lack of tears coating the surface of the eye. It can be due to poor quality or low quantity of tears.
Your tears are made up of 3 layers:
- The inner mucus layer, which binds the tear to your eye’s surface
- The watery middle layer, which keeps the eye clean & hydrated
- The oily outer layer, which keeps the eye smooth & stops tears from evaporating
Dry Eye Disease Symptoms, Causes, & Risk Factors
Dry eye disease is uncomfortable and irritating. There are many causes and risk factors that lead to this frustrating condition. Know the signs of dry eye disease, and recognize when it’s time to get expert help.
Symptoms of dry eye include:
- Stinging, burning, or scratchy sensation in your eyes
- Stringy mucus in the eye
- Feeling like there’s something in your eye
- Light sensitivity
- Struggling to wear contact lenses
- Poor night vision
- Blurry vision
- Tired eyes
Your chances of getting dry eyes can be increased due to:
- Hormonal changes (through medication or aging)
- Systemic conditions like:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Medication such as:
- Blood pressure medications
- Environmental factors (dry air, smoke)
- Extended screen viewing
- Contact lens use
- Laser eye surgery
How We Manage Dry Eye
You don’t have to live with the irritation of dry eyes. We offer top-of-the-line dry eye management technology to free you from your symptoms and address their causes.
The team at Riverside Eye Specialists is thrilled to be the first to bring the community Optilight treatments to target the symptoms of dry eye disease and much more.
Optilight works by fighting meibomian gland dysfunction, decreasing Demodex mites, combating inflammation, and targeting abnormal blood vessels.
Eye drops can help refresh the eye and replenish the tears. But not all drops are created equal—artificial tears can help temporarily relieve irritation, and prescription drops can target the source of eye inflammation.
Warm compresses can help provide temporary relief from dry eye symptoms. This simple solution can help promote better meibum production and manage buildup and debris caused by blepharitis around the lid and lashes.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
A diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids may decrease symptoms of dry eye. Omega 3s can be found in fish, nuts, and seeds.
You can find our practice near the historic downtown Riverside, California. If you have any trouble finding us, give us a call!
- 4605 Brockton Ave, Suite 100
- Riverside, CA 92506
Hours Of Operation
- Monday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed